Idealware, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, provides thoroughly researched, impartial and accessible resources about software to help nonprofits make smart software decisions. We provide reports, articles, online seminars, and live trainings that help organizations understand the software options and best practices that will allow them make the most of their time and financial resources.
The Senior Researcher will help to design research projects, do detailed and in-depth research into software choices in the nonprofit sector through interviews and software demos, manage projects and client relationships, and work with the Idealware team to create easy-to-understand reports and articles based on the research. In addition, they will support the training program through the creation of training materials and presentations on areas they’ve researched.
In this position, you’ll have an opportunity to become a nationally recognized expert in particular software research areas, talk with some of the smartest and most cutting edge minds in nonprofit technology nationwide, and be part of the planning process for a small but quickly growing nonprofit.
This is full time position. We prefer candidates located in or willing to relocate to our offices in Portland, MAINE, but will consider candidates interested in working remotely if they have had substantial experience working from a home office. Portland is a beautiful small city with a substantial restaurant and music scene, minutes from both the beach and mountains, with a very affordable cost of living. We will also consider relocation reimbursement for the right candidate.
- Design software research projects based on Idealware’s methodologies
- Research software choices through interviews with experts and nonprofit staff
- Conduct detailed vendor demos of software and document feature comparisons between many different systems.
- Supervise Research Analysts, interns, or contractors in conducting research
- Summarize research finding and other information in written overviews
- Help to support the training program by creating training materials and teaching seminars on appropriate topics.
Qualified candidates must:
- Have experience leading multiple software selection processes, including the documentation of features and pros and cons
- Be able to demonstrate significant project management expertise
The ideal candidate will:
- Have at least five year of experience in an office environment, including several years of experience working in or for nonprofits
- Have managed projects that had external clients and stakeholders
- Be willing to travel up to several days per month
- Be detail oriented. To demonstrate, please indicate that you read the whole job description by including your favorite flavor of ice cream in your cover letter.
- Have strong leadership, organizational, and supervisory ability, with the ability to juggle a number of different tasks
- Be highly analytical, with the ability to draw conclusions from a sizable set of data
- Have strong verbal and written communication ability, to at a minimum be able to structure findings and articles for other Idealware staff to understand
We anticipate paying a salary between $40,000 and $50,000 for this position. We will consider a higher salary for exceptional candidates who bring significant nonprofit software expertise to the position.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and a cover letter describing your fit for the specific qualifications of this job to Idealware at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the job title in your subject line, and please note in your cover letter whether you’re applying to work in our Portland, MAINE office or remotely; if remotely, describe your experience working from a home office. Please paste your cover letter in the body of the email, as opposed to in a separate attachment. No calls, please. No calls, please. DEADLINE: May 15, 2012.